I started the year by finishing off the 15mm ACW Regimental Fire & Fury markers that I had ended last year working on. They are from a variety of makers: Peter Pig, Old Glory UK, and Freikorps (QRF). Round bases are from Warbases, and the static grass is from Games Workshop.
In a last-minute burst, I also based 25 Noch trees on magnetic penny-sized ‘fridge magnets (last seen being used on the bases of 28mm WW1 troops). My aim is to make some template woodland bases, and mount some steel washers on the base so that I can seat the trees for the night’s game and take them off for travelling. The pack of trees were bought on an impulse when I went into ModelZone just after it opened.
Aims for the New Year – get in more games. Get gaming WW1 with “Triumph & Tragedy”. Get 10mm Flames of War/Blitzkrieg WW2 French on the table.
January ended with a splurge on the 10mm French chars, armoured cars and carriers. Figures from Pithead, paints Vallejo and some Games Workshop shading, painting guide from Wargames Illustrated 275 (some repeated online), and the Flames of War: Blitzkrieg book, plus lots of useful websites (eg Chars-Francais, littlewars.se guide to available models, Madaxemans 10mm Photo Gallery, Keith’s Guide to The French Army of 1940 ). Bases are ‘specials’ from Warbases.
I followed the Flames of War guide when painting the French infantry mortar battery. The Vallejo green-brown (879) uniform came out very light. A look around the sources (for example, re-enactors) which showed a darker brown in use, but the different dyes and wear in this image (WW2 in colour) cliched it for me. My intention is to use different shades to represent the active, reservists and colonial units. Probably the English Uniform (921) shade for colonials. I’ve changed shoes/belts to Vallejo leather brown (871).
Mix of Pithead French, Polish and Pendraken figures as artillery staff. Phil has some more French figures in the pipeline, so I’m keeping these non-Pithead mixes in the background, though they seem to go well together. Homemade tables and, yes, I’m sad enough to have printed small maps of parts of France.
Pendraken‘s German motorcycle/sidecar combinations, helmets filed and all painted as French. I accidentally based 2 on the one stand, when they should be all be singly on a medium stand for use with artillery. Bish-bash-bosh-scrape-rebase.
February ended with a dose of the lurgy, so I only completed a few of my Pithead 10mm French WW2 infantry, just some independent HQ units, a couple of observers, and a platoons of Fusiliers-Voltigeurs (sans rifle-grenades).
Play WMV Video: French_Infantry
My order for dice has been caught up in the Maelstrom (so to speak). C’est la vie.
What painting time I had was spent finishing off the Pithead French infantry. By the end of the month, I had moved on to the 75mm Schneider “Soixante-Quinze” guns, and a pair of 47mm anti-tank guns, and some trucks.
This was mainly spent painting 28mm medieval Islemen for the club’s Harlaw display (83 of the 750 figures). I’ve pasted a link to my painting guide (PDF file).
I did manage to sneak a few days making some 15mm ACW fencing though. A sheet of A4 plasticard produced about 14 foot of fences.
Near the end of July, I worked on the woodland templates. Templates cut from brown magnetic foam sheets (edges rounded), glued on metal washers bought from local hardware store. Flock = meadow Grass Flock (Noch/Gaugemaster GM 173). Tree bases from Gaugemaster glued on to fridge magnet discs (1 penny size) from eBay, and painted Citadel Foundation Gretchin Green (similar shade to flock).
Most of the rest of year taken up with Harlaw and gaming. Got some 15mm Aslans painted up (feline sci-fi from Khurasan Miniatures). Added magnetic sheeting to the 15mm GNW Swedes that I have been using for Black Powder. It makes it easier to carry them around in one “really useful” box.