Spanish Civil War game. The list of links is not comprehensive, but are sites that I found very useful whilst researching the period. Over and above the work put in by various club members (and they know who they are), special thanks go to Martin et al at Peter Pig, Martin Rapier for his Mex’36 rules variation, RFCM for AK47 (a playable and fun set of rules), and the people who created the website, La Cucaracha.
Madrid, November 1936. The Spanish Civil War has been ongoing for a few months, and the Nationalists are now turning their attention to Spain’s capital city. To counter them, the newly arrived foreign volunteers of the International Brigades are being rushed forward to the defence of the city. The scenario is a variation of Martin Rapier’s “Madrid” scenario, which can be downloaded here.
Below: Nationalists move in from the right, attempting to storm the defences around Madrid, while a worried General Kenco prepares to throw some truly awful dice.
Below: two Bf109′s attempt to down the sole Republican I-16, however, due to the aforementioned awful dice-rolling, it was the Legion Condor aircraft that went to their doom.
Below: a figure’s eye view of the International Brigade troops moving through the outskirts if Madrid. Closest to the camera is a T-26, stuck in traffic behind a pair of horse-drawn guns. Shortly after this picture was taken, two Stuka dive-bombers braved frantic small-arms fire and attacked the column.
Below: close-up of some of what was on the table at SKELP. Due to bad dice-rolling, the pair of Panzers failed to get on to the table.
- Spanish Civil War Battles 1936-1939
- A Spanish Civil War Photo Essay
- WWII Vehicles
- La Cucaracha [excellent site, includes folk songs from the era]
- They Still Draw Pictures [the war as seen by children]
- Photojournalism During the SCW
- William Kirk‘s site on SCW armies
- Steve Thomas‘ wargames site – this has been very useful
- John Kim‘s ASL site has scenarios and notes on wargaming the SCW
- “In memoriam” – dedicated to the aircrews of the SCW
- Achtung Panzer’s page on the Panzerkampfwagen1
- Introduction to the Spanish Civil War
- YahooGroup for the RFCM rules (including AK47 and variations)
- Russian Battlefields – some good photos of the T-26 [and this armoured car]
- Andrew Flood’s “Images from the Spanish Civil War“
- Ramón Puche Maciá’s “The Spanish Civil War“
- GuerraCivil.info – very good photographs of the period
- chars-francais.net – all about French tanks
- gunpoint-3d.com – a ‘must see’ – 3D computer models of various vehicles and artillery
- La guerra civil en Madrid – a good history of the siege of Madrid (in Spanish)
- Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives – the history of this International Brigade
- Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War