Workbench – July 09
28mm Chinese from Scheltrum, for core of Boxers. 2 “foo” dog statues from Fenris Games (eBay trader). Update (Sat 4/7) – Old Glory Boxer rifles arrived 31 hours after ordering, so they are now on workbench too. I’ll get all the Boxers to the same stage and then grab random batches to paint. I know I shouldn’t, but I’ll use the Foundry website for colour guides.
First half of the Boxers almost done. It helped that I had homework to do, so nipped to the coffee table between tasks. 44 figures to varnish and then add static grass to parts of the bases.
Renegade multi-regimental offer arrived (confusing me as it was in a sports supplement, causing me to query the FedEx chap). The French marines went straight onto the painting table, and are now glued to 2 pence pieces. I run a rolling production line. The regular Chinese forces are having their uniforms painted first, as the Boxers are now off into a metal storage box.
You snooze, you lose. I slept in yesterday and missed the post – I have to wait 48 hours before I go to the sorting office (a 10 minute drive away). It could be one of a few items for the Boxer project. In the meantime, the 2p-based Renegade French Marines and Chasseurs have just had a wash of GW Devlan Mud before I add the highlights. Nice to be finally painting red trousers on the French. So far it’s been late WW1 or Colonial whites.
I was looking at walls last night (ooh, what an exciting life I lead). I thought polystyrene sheeting would do, then I remembered the Hirst blocks I’d bought of eBay at least a year ago for a DIY Border tower.
Spent a couple of days rebasing figures from the 1-pence bases to the 2-pence sized magnetic GF9 bases. Order from Redoubt arrived (Jingal, Tigermen, and, ahem, artillery piece and crew). Found a chap who sells Hirst blocks, but no reply to email yet, so don’t know if he’s still in business.
Post delivered the Dixons order of French from the Dahomy range, mules and bearers. They look perfect against the Woodbine French, which needed a Command group. I glued the bearers to the GF9 bases so that I could add them to the remaining Chinese figures to paint. Also arriving was the order from Foundry, more French ‘command’, with one pack of infantry command from their Franco-Prussian range, and the ‘Darkest Africa’ “Ardent Adventurers”. The main item was Ian Heath’s “Armies of the 19th Century – China”, packed with information, it was a bargain in their sale.
Sadly, the PVA glue that I got yesterday is rubbish and has failed to stick the metal to the plastic, even when supplemented by superglue. Another reminder that not all PVA glue is the same. Pah, a trip to B&Q then this evening, and then to re-do yesterday afternoon’s rebasing. And then I might get back to some painting!
September: I have been working through the Boxers, Chinese regulars and French commands. I still have more to finish, including more Boxers from Scheltrum. I have some cork floor tiles (samples from eBay) and hope to get some buildings made following the assistance of Matakishi’s Teahouse. “The Sword and the Flame” rules and Boxer supplement was ordered last week from the USA, it seems to be the front runner for rules at the moment.
With some more Boxers to paint, I realised that I was using it as an excuse not to try my hand at terrain building. I tried following the instructions from Matakishi’s site, but I’m really cack-handed at this. But I ended the weekend with 2 large and 2 small houses made from cork samples from ebay and matches.
October: “The Sword and the Flame” rules and Boxer supplement arrived. Looks fun. Will need to go through this anniversary edition with Carlos to see what the differences are. After a drive through the road-works to the sorting office, I join the queue of people wasting their Saturday morning collecting parcels – it is the Kallistra unpainted trenches. I’ll get painted to match my existing ground-level WW1 trenches. Still unfinished, I need to decide what to do to tart them up.
November – December
I spent time focussing on playing a few more games of “Through the Mud & the Blood” by Too Fat Lardies. The only modelling-work that I did was get a start on texturing and fixing retaining walls on my Kallistra trenches.
I had to take up Maelstrom‘s discount offer, and have a Mark IV female and an A7V making their way through the Christmas post. Having finally finished reading “Band of Brigands”, I will of course be using authentic numbering for these two members of the Kaiser’s panzer force. Or I’ll just make it up with something that sounds close.
The tanks took 9 days to travel from one part of Aberdeen to my door. Historically accurate, I guess.